IV OF SPADES

Wednesday, April 4, 2018
De La Salle Lipa
Finding ways to see them.
Is it wrong to listen from the outside of a concert, peaking into the open slots of the gates that were pretty much blocked? Perhaps, they call us gatecrashers but I did my way to see and most especially hear with my two ears, a band that is special to me.
Photo taken from the internet.
IV of Spades is a Filipino band who is recently recognized by their funk style. This year may be their breakthrough as more and more people add on to their list of fans.
When I received an announcement that they will be the guest artists for a benefit concert (to be organized by the Electronics Engineering students) I failed to recognize them.
My friend asked another to search who the band, IV of Spades (which we pronounced as Ivy of Spades instead of 4 of Spades). As soon as we played the first song on YouTube, it automatically clicked in my mind and I ended up humming to their Hey Beverrrrlyyyyyy all the way back to the house.
Little did I know that they will become the bridge for me to see the wonderful music created by other Filipino Artists. I am now not only a fan of IV of Spades but now I also appreciate the works of Ben&Ben, Reese Lansangan, Sleep Alley, December Avenue and many more to discover.
Going back to the night. My friend and I did not get to avail a ticket because it was already sold out. (That feeling when you're next in line ready to order, and exactly at your turn they say that purchase was the last ticket.) So, fangirling I chose to just listen, from the outside.
It was an amazing experience, we may not have been in the crowd, but at least I saw them perform. And the energy can be felt and seen as I saw them moving from side to side of the stage playing on their guitars.
In between borders.
I wondered why the voice seemed deeper (which pretty much proved why I wanted to hear them live) and then my questions were answered.
My friend and I sneaked to the back of the venue, where the van was parked, and she had such an instinct that they were to exit at that spot.
I used the front camera forgetting that its lighting capacity is not that great.
When they came out, a bunch of screaming girls popped out from behind, my friend was left there frozen in place, and I forgot to turn on the flash of my camera.
They were seemingly shy but fairly greeted everyone, smiled, and waved. I was happy. No other words came out except for "Hi!"
From their van.
But, soon I realized that there were only III of the IV. And that answers the change in voice, since the main vocalist wasn't able to perform with them.
If you haven't heard of their music yet here's 3 reasons to listen.

  1. Very chill - Their music has that funk overall but the use of it varies from party, to soundtrip, to mellow.
  2. Meaningful - Although, as young as they can be their songs tackle more than just the surface of topics. (Check out Sentimental, Hey Beverly, and Ilaw sa Daan)
  3. The great thing about their music is the blending of all the instuments, voices, genre, and thoughts.

Hopefully, next time I will be able to watch them properly and of the full band. For them, I wish the best for their recent success, and to keep it up. Spread joy with music.
P.S. Their song Mundo is a hit right now, but personally their single Ilaw sa Daan is my favorite.

Comments

You may also check out these