ANIMO BEATS 2018

September 27, 2018
CB GROUNDS

My orgmate and co-officer performing her own piece of spoken word poetry.


Tugtog, Awit, at Tula Kontra Droga: A Drug Awareness Campaign

The Animo Beats had become a recent semester event of the Council of Student Organization (CSO). This sem, the theme was centered on Drug Awareness and Drug Prevention, through this the youth can say their word about the topic through creative ways like acting, singing or spoken word. Over the years, I have watched some of my friends and classmates take on stage. The very first time I watched it was my friend's very first time to perform spoken word poetry in public, and seeing her now in 2018 performing three of her deeply thought pieces, I was inspired to finally take the turn.

It took me three years to prepare myself to be able to perform, yet only three days to create a piece. It was totally allowed to not use an original, but I wanted my very first performance to be from me and by me. Three days before, I stayed at school until the sun set its golden haze down the horizon and watched how the sky transitioned to its dark blue hue. It helped me think and find a voice. Weirdly enough the piece I made was about my belt that was about to rip, along with the memories of college. So, here came the day and I couldn't find my journal where I wrote it - I needed to have a piece, and the concert was starting. I did my best to recall the concept, the rhymes, the flow, and I was able to finish it before my friends started theirs. The two of them, it was also their first time.

As I enjoyed the music, the songs, and the poetry I realized my piece wasn't that incorporated to the theme which was about drugs. It was nearing 8 pm and unto the last five performers, yet I
wasn't in the list. It was such a neutral feeling because although I did want to perform, probably it was best that I didn't. It just saved me. I guess the universe was just telling me that I needed more
practice.

The Animo Beats unknowingly became a hit, since there were additional froshies this time. I don't know but I guess didn't expect the number of walk-ins, so the seats were enough for the audience. Anyways, what I like best though about the concert was it's message. Here are three point I came up with:
  1. In order to prevent the usage of drugs one can find an output, it could be through arts, sports, or music, a hobby for the youth.
  2. One thing I still haven't done - Do it. (Not the drugs) To jump out of your comfort zone, I'm happy I witnessed my friends grow the moment they jumped out.
  3. Support events like this - Not only do the organizers plan this six months before, but the message that it contains is something that should be recognized to more people.
This perhaps wasn't my time to shine, yet I did learn a lot through this experience.

Comments

You may also check out these