PRODUCTION CREW MEMBER

May 3, 2019
STUDENT CENTER

Teatro Lasalyano had prepared another project for the school year, and this time it is their biggest production yet. With the help of their mentors from Lipa Actors Company the grand play was handled with care and quality. Along side Teatro Lasalyano was two college organizations, Samahan ng Lasalyanong Retratista and Peer Facilitators' Circle (with yours truly).

The play was an adaptation of a thought-provoking short story "The Summer Solstice" by one of the National Artist for Philippine Literature, Nick Joaquin. Giving top of the range efforts to give justice to the interesting story, the playwright itself was rightfully well-thought supported by having several brainstorming meetings, meticulous workshops, and steadfast rehearsals.

It was a larger scale experience compared to school projects, wherein the budget of production was officially provided by the school and the audience will not only be of students from the campus, but also including outside guests. What made it extra nerve-wracking was the fact that PFC was close to having no experience in theater play.

But if there was one thing that I learned the year-round, it was to not let things that I am unacquainted with become a burden to a possible success. There was time to learn, time to develop, time to prepare.

I tried my best to exert as much effort and help as possible, but there are some duties and responsibilities that I could not sacrifice, so I could not pledge my 100%. Nevertheless, I tried what I can, when I can. And as if the others felt my sentiment, there was a week that the production team laid low, and that when the misunderstandings started to arise. With the time running short and the communication getting dry, we almost thought that the play would be short of success

All the hard-work and attempt to make the production a grand event seemed like it was going down the drain. I also felt unmotivated thinking that I was overestimating the capabilities. I felt weak. However, I didn't want to fail the others, it was not only about me, my organization but of all the actors, backstage staff, directors, guests, families that were to watch. I couldn't let them down.

Eventually, though after perseverance and the persistence of my org-mates, the task was back on track. It wasn't an easy cheer up rather a hard truth scold from a co-member, reminding that we had duty to oblige and must find a way to work with it. And so the real work began. We were left at school for late nights gluing the props together, sewing the costumes, distributing snacks to all and the like.

It wasn't so hard after all. Maybe it was possible to give 100% to more than one commitment. Time management, giving your best, and team-work were the reasons for us to work it out. At the end of the play, which with the work from everyone, became a full-packed success, for two showings. The director called us, PFC, and extended their appreciation for our help. The director of the play, gave his final speech which included a heart-felt message pertaining to the exact problems we faced.
And with that I will share a few random ramblings about being a production crew member as I realized coming from the words of the director.


  1. Adrenaline Rush - When you are backstage and the actors come and go in a matter of a few minutes to do a quick change of costume, the adrenaline rush just starts to kick in, and you do everything you can to help. (The reason for the hastily wardrobe variation for each person is because, there are very few actors and they must portray several roles for the play. One scene they are a child, in the next they are a grown woman, in one they are the main character, in the next scene they are cast as an extra.)
  2. Collaborative effort - We all came from different courses and organizations. Yet we were able to unite in this endeavor with our respective roles, and extending to roles when needed.
  3. Humility - With this production having a great accomplishment, one must keep there self grounded. It is the first of many, and those many will be bigger and better, we should not forget that where it started. (Other alumni also visited the play, how respectful they were to come back to a place where it began.)
  4. 1% talent, 99% discipline - We all came from different backgrounds, only a few were majoring with arts. We weren't that all artistic, but we were willing to learn and try it out. And voila.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch the outcome of the play, I did have the opportunity and privilege to work behind the scenes, and this was because I did not give up so suddenly.

Comments

You may also check out these