Disguised Oppurtunity

 Many people were brought to the edges of the plank and head forth to the unknown future that awaited due to the unexpected COVID-19 pandemic. But this is for another story. For now, I will focus on the job that coincidentally was convenient for these times. 

What is 51talk

51talk is a Chinese company that mostly caters to young beginners but can extend its lessons to advanced learners of various ages. Most of the teachers are from the Philippines for the reason that the country has a neutral accent and English is greatly used throughout the nation, making the Filipinos have a good intrinsic hold of the lingua franca. Furthermore, us teachers do not work as an employee of the company but rather an independent teacher that is using their tools and software provided by them.

Where did you apply?

I came upon this company years ago, even while I was still taking up my practicum in college, every now and then I was curious of the field I were to work in, in the future so I will check the job descriptions on sites. 51talk happened to keep popping up in the results, but I didn't look much unto it. After securing all documents related to my graduation and board exam. I took the shot of curiosity and seriously had a thought of applying. However, due to unexpected circumstances, a volcanic eruption, a hospitalization, and the lockdown, I had to put this aside. When everything seemed to be back to normal the application slipped out of my head. But then just like fate the company was featured on noontime variety show It's Showtime where two aspiring educators doing their best to showcase their abilities. And in a snap, I got back to track and focused on my application.

I signed up on their official website. I did not need to go an office out of town, or a meeting far away. All was done within the corners of my room.

Why 51talk?

As I read more about the company, it opened the world of online English teaching, therefore, more companies as well. There are several other companies providing similar works but I chose 51talk. I am a pros and cons kind of girl and just like any other decision I make in life, this was not exempted.

Pros:
Online - no need to risk yourself out in the COVID rising cases environment
Children - I have always dreamed of becoming a pre-school teacher
Schedule - the time that is most needed is at least not grave yard
Flexibility - even if we were to plan going to another location I don't need to worry about days off 
Trainings - teaching is something that I exposed to but I am no professional
Cons:
Salary - I wasn't sure about the rate per lesson for newly hires
Bookings - I was afraid of not having a single student
First job - did I want to be a teacher for my first ever job in my life?

The pros eventually outweighed the cons and I ended up trying at the least. There is nothing to lose when you start at the bottom.

How to Join?

If you are interested, you may contact me and I will guide you along the way, or you can click this link. The blue underlined one., or you can sign-up on their website.

When to Start?

You can start anytime you want, and to share a bit more, the whole process of application takes around three days. A pre-screening and technical check, a training on the second, and if once you passed the first two days, on-boarding and a background check will follow the following day. (Details of the interviews and trainings will be posted soon!)

Start when you are ready to be not ready. Because waiting for that ready moment, will not ever feel right. But once you have decided to go, go on and go forth.

Knock, Knock, Who's There?

You are, and know that you have browsed, skimmed, read, checked. I hope you find what you are looking for. 

Waiting here to open the door for you, this is Jokaly K-jala, and I was Just Saying.


Comments

You may also check out these