PROJECT VOICE “Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye”

July 12, 2019
Areté Ateneo de Manila University




Project Voice is a collaborative effort of poets and performers, it was co-created by Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye. They tour around places and teach about the art of spoken word poetry. They also perform themselves. Their endeavor since then had grown into a wide organization reaching not only multiple corners of the United States of America but also numerous countries around the world.

I cannot exactly recall the year (It was probably 2015 or 2016) I first heard of their performances on YouTube but the feeling is still clear in my memory. It was inspiring, revolutionary, amazing. All adjectives I could think of because it dared to touch every emotion known to man. About three years ago I learned that they were to visit the Philippines, and I was so excited. That time though, I knew that it was not yet possible. Due to studies, its location, and the schedule of the family. But I always hoped that one day it may become possible

Another chance had surfaced (It was even on my birthday) but then again it was not possible. Finally, this year 2019, somehow the tides have calmed and we have landed ashore.

Pho Hoa - Mall of Asia, Pasay City

Our travel time was two hours and so we were at Manila four hours too early, so we thought of going to Mall of Asia since it was just nearby the bus stop. (Another impulsive decision, like of what happened here:MOA FoodtripWe had Vietnamese, Pho, which was satisfying and the tea was just perfect to calm my nerves. (It was acting all crazy excited) Then we booked for Grab, and to find out its rate had doubled due to the time we chose. It was already 5:30 which was supposed to be the expected time arrival but we were still two towns away. Luckily, we arrived 6 pm on the dot at the venue and even had time to refresh. We purchased their pre-signed poem collections near the entrance, and so have been lucky to be able to avail Phil Kaye’s book because it was limited, meaning he won’t be publishing it anymore. It was also a birthday gift from my family and upon hearing it, the facilitators kept greeting me up to the entrance.

Their books available for purchase.

Words Anonymous
Words Anonymous

Project Voice

The ticket we had purchased was general admission (VIP and fan seats were long sold out), so we were situated at the far end of the balcony. Anyways, in person it felt as they were so near. Like that is when you realize how much pictures can fool you. In photo it looks so far, but actually you can see the details, I got to commend Ateneo for their technical and stage skills. Simple and to the point. I enjoyed every moment, and even had little gleeful moments when my sister would laugh, agree, and exclaim that she remembers it now. This is because, I pulled her to the show that time.

And with that I give in the points to which I wish I could poetically enumerate, but perhaps I’ll do it soon, for now here we go:
  1.  Bring someone along with you, not only so someone can document the moments but ever so because you never know if maybe they will actually also do like it. Like my sister, who at first wasn’t really into spoken word, though I know she likes poetry, and now I guess in someways it had touched her.
  2. One thing that the performers had mentioned was that some people have the efforts to travel hours to watch two foreigners when in fact there are so many local performers around the area, and as much as they appreciate the support, they want to endorse what is also known in the country. (which relates to my previous blog of Lipa Actors Company here:WIS)
  3. Though two hours seem short, it wont if you learn to appreciate every moment. It will be worth it promise.
  4. Another one is to research of the place you are to go especially if you are not accustomed to the place. It’s fun to be touristy, however, in times where its rainy and you have no idea of the vehicles to get on, it’d be better to inquire about the place with the aid of people who have been there or through the internet. In my case, I had to check in the venue, the weather, the entrance, the needed things before getting there.
  5. Lastly, don’t give up. It took a few years before I was able to catch their show, but it was worthwhile. And even if you do not get the chance do not give up on their works, it can be appreciated in other ways.

We may not have been able to get the books signed personally or meet them and shake hands, nonetheless being there live was priceless, especially to watch it with my sister.

"Thank you for stopping by" -When Love Arrives

by Sarah Kay & Phil Kaye

Comments

You may also check out these