Becoming an Online English Teacher

Having my first interview

    It took me two months to fulfill my aspiration to attempt the work of an ESL teacher. I had always had the thought at the edge of my mind, but did not yet have the courage, the time, the equipment to try. But now that the opportunity knocked on the door, I hid. But I had to come out of the comfort zone, if not now, when. So with a shaky anxious voice, but excited soul, I took on the challenge. I knew how it felt on the other side due to industrial psychology in college. Another time, there was also a mock interview, but I kind of blew that one.

    I'm grateful for the support of my family, saying it will be alright and that if I do not pass, then I can just try another company. My friend says her interview was a bit traumatizing, and until now struggle to take up another job. Luckily, I found a lot of YouTube videos and took notes of their experiences. Blogs also helped me big time. Thinking back I kind of understand why they would share such details which I would share in my next blog if allowed.

1. Pre-screening

    I made sure I was wearing presentable clothes, even put on some make up. With a turn of events, the initial interview lasted less than 10 minutes, and without camera. It was funny to be worried about what to say but then they only asked things that could be written on a resume. I felt also relieved that the interview was almost the same as what I watched because it made me relax a bit. But there was more to come, that was just the start.

2. Technical Check

    Next, came the technical check up and I struggled with the usage of lights. They told me to there should be no shadows whatsoever. So I had to grab an emergency flash light for extra light. The the person-in-charge said that it was normal but with too much it might strain my eyes so of I do continue I should invest in proper lighting.

3. Pre-service Orientation

    After a break, was the Pre-service Orientation. Now before I get into it, this all happened on the same day. Getting back to the PSO was near evening. But mid-way a strong thunder shook the entire house and the lightning was so near it brightened the sky. Now that meant the laptop got disconnected with the internet. I had to immediately message the facilitator. I was worried that I would not be considered anymore, because once again, the internet is one of the main needs this work and not having a strong connection is like not being proficient in work too. Fortunately, the facilitator was kind and allowed me to join the next one. I continued from then and for some reason, probably excitement, I was feeling that thinking this was it! But, there was more.

4. New Teacher Training

    Sunday morning was the schedule they suggested, I didn't know much yet and just took whatever they offered. I passionately but internally regretting, said yes to the live NTT. I didn't even know what that meant. But carry on.

    New Teacher Training, I thought would be an orientation but then I find out that there is a demonstration and that some people do not pass. As we trained and I presented, I thought the trainer was cornering me for some reason, because of my pronunciation, the way I talk, everything about me. But by good fortune, I passed and was endorsed to the next demo with ac Chinese evaluator. This was the first time, admittedly I was drained, my energy was so low for doing something I thought at the moment was beyond my limits.

    With the Chinese evaluator was around 9 pm, I took it while still fresh, though I didn't have enough time to practice. The AC also crashed so I had to use the pdf version. The Chinese evaluator said that I talked too much. There was a lot lacking in that demo, my answers, my opinions, my performance. Which made me think that I should have taken the smaller details a little more seriously.

5. This is it (2)

    December 7, 2020 I got a text, announcing that the page was now open for me to use. I was pretty happy, surely, but with all the surprises I wasn't exactly sure this was it. So, I went back to my daily routine and hoped they would give a more definite answer.

6. This is it (3)

    The next evening I received a message, starting off with my very full name, congratulating that I was accepted. I was officially launched as a 51talk Teacher. Just the answer I needed. Oh an exhilarating feeling. It was my effort, and it has paid off. There is still so much to learn.

    There was a welcoming meeting to be scheduled once more. I didn't know what was to be done here but it was the start of the first sacrifices, as relatives gathered that day, but I was inside listening to rules. But that is for another time.

Wanting to leave on a positive note, this is Jokaly K-jala, and I was Just Saying.

Comments

You may also check out these